Monday, April 2, 2007

Apple & EMI remove DRM

"What do consumers think their freedom is worth?" I think that it is most important question to keep at the fore of our minds as we engage with the changes that Apple and EMI are instituted. I was very impressed with the decision to relax DRM on songs, but the kicker is that additional 30 cents - it's a matter of principal, tied to the greater implications of what 30 cents can come to symbolize. I suppose we're supposed to feel elated by the grace of Apple & EMI to provide us access to our culture ( or our neighbors') in a widely tradable format, and for only an additional 30 cents per song!!!
Does 30 cents represent the output of some complex formula predicting losses resulting from illegally traded files? To me it just seems to be the arbitrary economic moniker given to free[ly tradable] culture. Then again, what it may come to represent may be something wholly different, or even negligible. But, I think that the most interest outcome from this agreement - aside from the impending results of Jobs' "market experiment", is the commidifcation of "trading" culture.
Maybe it's not wholly unique, but this is certainly an iteration of it. Not only has Apple priced cultural artifacts (in this case music) at 99 cents, but now they and EMI have provided consumers with a price for the "free" trade of cultural artifacts. I'm not satisfied with this sort of determination of what I thought was a free activity. Certainly, information storage and distribution of it have influenced the commodification of those technologies and the particular information being traded ... but I always thought that direct peer-to-peer exchanges couldn't be commodified.
I keep conjuring up an image of having to pay to share a bite of pizza with my girlfriend. I know that's a stretch of an analogy, but I think enough can be milked to create the foundation for the consternation I feel toward this new 30 cent-scheme. It's very simple, and I agree that it is a shaky experiment, but it's practicing commodifying direct peer-to-peer sharing - no medium, no third parties involved. 30 cents, to me, is an invasion of my rights of property and liberty - I dissent from the proposal that commodifies the activity of personal exchanges (as separated from the commodities exchanged). I refuse to acknowledge that freedom of exchange can be commodified.

No comments: